Figured it out:

(I’m guessing that) since I installed the OS on a different computer than the one it is currently in, the system was configured to use that computers’ hardware as the default for ‘eth0′ (and I can’t wait to see what other issues this will cause…)

The solution I used is:

sudo vi /etc/network/interfaces

Delete this:

auto eth0

iface eth0 inet dhcp

And replace with this:

auto (logical name)

iface (logical name) inet dhcp

Next type:

sudo ifup -a

Verify the fix:

sudo lshw -c network

if it no longer says ‘disabled’ by *- network, then it should be working

Finally, test the fix (I needed to update anyway)

sudo apt-get update

sudo apt-get install (whatever packages you want)

If anyone can tell me how I can configure the logical hardware ID’s to the defaults Ubuntu uses, I’d be ever grateful!